The Herring Era Museum in Siglufjörður, Iceland, has received a number of prestigious awards and international recognition:
- 1998: The Icelandic Tourist Board, Innovation Award.
- 1999: Honorary Recognition, Icelandic Parliament.
- 2000: The Icelandic Museum Award.
- 2002: INVEST – Industrial Development Society Incentive Award.
- 2003: Museum Council selected the Herring Museum as the first ever Icelandic participant in the European Museum competition.
- 2004: The European Museum Award, The Micheletti Award, the 'Best New Museum of Industry' in Europe, 2004.